Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Xsltproc with XInclude (Docbook 5)

Let me share my Makefile with you

      1 html:
      2                 rm -rf site
      3                 mkdir site
      4                 cp css/* site
      5                 xmllint --noent --xinclude \
6 module.xml > /tmp/docbresolved.xml \
      7                                 2>./errloglint
      8                 xsltproc \
      9                                 --output site/ \
     10                                 docbook.xsl \
     11                                 /tmp/docbresolved.xml \
     12                                 2>./errlogxslt && \
     13                 tar czf site.tgz site/*
     14                 echo "site.tgz ready for deployment"
     15
     16 pdf:
     17                 xmllint --noent --xinclude \
18 module.xml > /tmp/docbresolved.xml \
     19                                 2>./errloglint
     20                 xsltproc \
     21                     --xinclude \
     22                     --output /tmp/docbfo.fo \
     23                     docbook.fo.xsl \
     24                                 /tmp/docbresolved.xml \
     25                                 2>./errlogxslt && \
     26                 fop -fo /tmp/docbfo.fo \
     27                                 module.pdf \
     28                                 2>./errlogfop
     29                 rm /tmp/docbfo.fo
     30                 echo "module.pdf ready for deployment"

I only create html or pdf, not the other output formats.
I use xmllint to process the includes. I use includes extensively

An example of the top level document

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book [
<!ENTITY % uvmatent SYSTEM "file:///basics/uvmat_entities.ent">
%uvmatent;
]>
<book version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
    xml:lang="da">

    <title>Akademiuddannelsens it-speciale</title>
    <xi:include href="prepost/bookinfo.docbook.xml" />
    <xi:include href="prepost/forord.docbook.xml" />

    <part>
        <title>Grundlæggende programmering</title>
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt1.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt2.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt3.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt4.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt5.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt6.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt7.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt8.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt9.docbook.xml" />
        <xi:include href="chapters/javaLekt10.docbook.xml" />
    </part>

The chapters are built from sections, also includes.
Coding examples (these are programming lessons) are also
includes with live code:

<programlisting language="java"><xi:include href="../codej/lesson4/src/CprTestObject.java" parse="text"/></programlisting>

The includes provide maximum flexibility. Couldn't do it without them.

Hope you find this useful.

Niels Muller Larsen, MSc
Programmer, Assoc Professor

Ring around the collar.