Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] validating individual files in a document

Hi Bob,

Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
> Hi Joseph,
> If you can put a DOCTYPE declaration at the top of the included file, then you
> must be using XInclude and not system entity references to assemble your
> document.  If you are using XInclude, it is not an error to define the entities
> in DOCTYPES in both the main document and the included document.  The rules are
> described in this section of my online book on DocBook XSL:

> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ModularDoc.html#XincludeTextEntities

> There's also a section on managing such shared entity declarations:

> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ModularEntities.html

> and lots of other tips on using XInclude.

I can put a DTD at the top of the included file and it validates in Emacs.

<!DOCTYPE book [
<!ENTITY % prompt.user SYSTEM "../../../../share/xml/freebsd.ent">  %prompt.user;
<!ENTITY % man.csh.1   SYSTEM "../../../../share/xml/man-refs.ent"> %man.csh.1;
]>

But, if I do that, putting the book together by running make on the supplied
Makefile fails.

It does not look like this book is using XInclude.

<books/fdp-primer> % grep -ir xinclude .

returns nothing.

Is there a way, other than creating a DTD in the included file, to satisfy the
validator when it's only validating that included file?

Maybe I'll look into configuring nxml-mode to ignore the missing entity
definitions.

Thanks,

Joseph