Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Removing newlines between <para>s

Hello, Thomas,

Yes, I understand this clearly, and actually, after some investigation it turned out that it was a false alarm.
There is a bug in XMLMind presentation indeed. But PDF conversion works well and doesn't add any fake empty lines. I had some misunderstanding with colleagues.

Thank you for your help!

--
Ekaterina Shikareva.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Schraitle [mailto:tom_schr@web.de]
Sent: Mittwoch, 24. August 2016 10:43
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Ekaterina,

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 08:03:33 +0000
"Shikareva, Ekaterina" <EShikareva@luxoft.com> wrote:

> For me, this empty line appears even before any conversion, I can see
> it in XMLMind: see the same file in Notepad++ -
> https://i.imgur.com/MmacVZc.png XMLMind DocBook Editor v. 7.0 -
> https://i.imgur.com/zTjEdSw.png Also visible in XMLMind 5.3.0.
>
> And btw, if you create an informaltable with XMLMind, the paras inside
> will be saved on the same line, as in the first row. For these
> screenshots, I had to manually insert a line break in the second row
> to reproduce the problem.

I haven't followed the complete thread, but according to the screenshots and what you've wrote, you seem to use XMLMind for your XML editing.

Ekaterina, I think, you should distinguish two cases:

 (1) The rendering in your XML editor (here: XMLMind)
 (2) The output from the DocBook stylesheets

These two are different sets, they don't have much in common. To compare these, you should know the technologies behind it.

Usually, thesedays, XML editors use CSS for rendering XML files. XMLMind and oXygen falls into this category.

CSS is a language to format the layout of Web pages (and in this case, XML). In its simplest form, it applies layout information (font size, text style, indentation, border etc.) to elements. Nothing more, nothing less. In other words, you can't restructure your XML file with CSS and change the order of elements. That's not its purpose.

For an XML editor this is usually enough because it's fast enough and you get a kind of "what you see is what you get" feeling that most people know from Office programs.

However, what you see in your XML editor is NOT the final result! If you use the DocBook stylesheet as toolchain, they use XSLT. XSLT is a
transformation(!) language. With XSLT you can do all the fancy things that you can't do with CSS.

Your XML editor "fools" you to believe some things are "broken" which isn't. A different XML editor (oXygen, FrameMaker, etc.) shows you probably different rendering views of your XML file. If your XML editor shows para elements differently, it's a bug in your XML editor.

To make a long story short:
The relevant result is the output of the DocBook stylesheets, not how your files are displayed in your XML editor. The rendering in your XML editor can be considered as a hint. The DocBook stylesheets should create the correct HTML or PDF. If not, it's a bug.

Hope it helps you to understand the differences better. :-)

--
Gruß/Regards,
    Thomas Schraitle