Subject: <base ...> in html chunked output

I have an XML document which transforms without any problem to
the default <base   > in html chunked output
    /var/www/html/out/html-chunks/index.html and all the ar* files
I want to access this via a link to this index.html from a different directory: e.g. cd /var/www/html then

ln -s /var/www/html/project/out/html-chunks/index.html index.html

It seems that this picks up a default base from /var/www/html/ link, and other links start to fail.

Putting a <base href="http://some.domain.com/out/html-chunks/"; target="_blank">
into the index.html puts everything right, the link works OK.

BUT I can't see how to modify the Docbook XML to make the output of the chunked index.html contain a <base > in the <head> section:
<base href="http://some.domain.com/out/html-chunks/"; target="_blank">
   <title>  etc.
</head>

Can anyone tell me how to do this - if it is possible in XML to set something in the <head> section
--
Ron Catterall
ron@catterall.net