Subject: Odd Characters in UTF-8, Docbook 5.1

Hi,

I'm working on a Linux machine which has UTF-8 encoding. The docbook 5.1 I'm working with is declared:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book [
<!ENTITY version "0.1 unreleased">
]>

Entities changed a while back (relaxng changed things), but so far as I know I should still be able to work with numeric entities when using odd characters which are part of UTF-8. I'm trying to get some box drawing characters to work, specifically because I need to illustrate a file directory structure which has been output like this from the "tree -d" command. Here's a short sample:
> tree -d -L 2 /etc | tail -n 20 | tail -n 6
│   ├── pluginconf.d
│   ├── protected.d
│   └── vars
└── yum.repos.d

As you can see the vertical and horizontal box drawing characters are used. When I redirect this to a file or copy and paste into the document all I get is a substitute...each shows as "#". So I tried to use numeric entities instead. As an example "boxh" (horizontal box line) should work as "&#x2500;". This does not work, and rendering still ends up as "#". I tried the numeric code for the plus/minus character, "&#x00B1;", and this does work. I don't know if it proves anything, but since my UTF-8 terminal  shows all of the above characters just fine on a terminal, it seems like the ability to output is not in question...perhaps this is an invalid assumption.

Btw, one reference on the Unicode numeric value is from:
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/documentation/reference/html/iso-box.html

Under Docbook 5.1, what do I need to do to use this numeric entity other than using UTF-8 and the numeric entity syntax? Is there an additional XML declaration I need?

Thanks!