Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Gradle build cross-platform - trouble with Saxon 6.5.5 params under Windows

Here is the story on using DocBook XSL 1.0 stylesheets with Saxon 9. Any XSLT 2.0 processor like Saxon 9 has a backwards compatibility mode that enables it to process XSLT 1.0 stylesheets, and it does a pretty good job. It works well with fo output, for example.

But the XSLT 1.0 standard did not have a standard document write element for writing multiple output documents, which is what HTML chunking needs. Each XSLT 1.0 processor had to implement their own extension element to do so. Saxon 6 had saxon:output, Xalan had redirect:write, etc. The DocBook XSL 1.0 stylesheets has a big xsl:choose statement that figures out which such element is available in the current process and employs that to write chunks. It is one of the most complex templates in DocBook XSL.

In XSLT 2.0, there is a standard document write element, the xsl:result-document element. The chunking stylesheet in XSL 1.0 of course does not know about XSL 2.0 elements, so it fails to find an appropriate output element when run with Saxon 9.

There was a good attempt by Jirka Kosek to include that 2.0 element as a special case in the 1.0 chunking stylesheet. It basically worked, but not everything worked, so it was never incorporated into the standard distribution. If you want to try it out, you can find it here:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/201103/msg00123.html

He includes the code and the caveats.