Subject: change default HTML encoding to UTF-8

We have a bug report suggesting that the default output encoding for the DocBook html stylesheet be changed from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8. Note this only applies to the original HTML 4 output from the "html" directory. The "xhtml" and "xhtml5" outputs already output UTF.

The original HTML 4 standard said ISO-8859-1 was the default encoding, but that UTF-8 would be acceptable. It isn't difficult for a user to change the output to UTF-8, but it does require a customization. The question here is whether to change the default output encoding to UTF-8.

This would change the HTML output to replace character references like &#xXXXX; to actual UTF-8 encoded characters, and change the encoding information in the header to reflect that.

I'm reluctant to change something that will break the builds that DocBook people depend on. Would this impact you if the change was made?

Bob Stayton