Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Enable FOP's PCL duplexing feature with DocBook XSL stylesheet customization?

On 7.9.2017 17:46, Warren Young wrote:
> Unfortunately, grepping the DBX FO XSL files in the version of the stylesheets packaged for my OS turns up no instances of “duplex”.

That's because XSL-FO and DocBook stylesheets are dealing with
formatting and pagination. How these pages are printed onto physical
paper is out of scope of these technologies.

Usually you will produce PDF not PCL and then instruct PDF viewer
together with print driver to do things like duplex printing, or two
pages on one sheet printing, etc.

> 3. Maybe there is a trick with XSL customization files to insert arbitrary directives?

There is template setup-pagemaster which you can redefine, or you can
just create additional pagemaster using user.pagemasters template. You
can add pcl:duplex-mode attribute in your customization.

> 4. Prevail on those maintaining the standard DocBook stylesheets to add a way to turn this feature on in a standard way, so that in about a decade’s time when all my machines with outdated docbook-style-xsl RPMs are replaced, I’ll be able to turn it on with a one-line XSL directive. :)

Patches are welcomed. But it's first time I hear that someone is using
PCL backend in FOP. ;-)

     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing