Subject: Vertical ellipsis in PDF - add Arial Unicode MS to my Apache FOP configuration?

I need to use a vertical ellipsis (Unicode 22ee) in my DocBook
content. My body font family doesn't include a glyph for that
character. I found the workaround for switching font family for
symbols (http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SpecialChars.html#SwitchSymbol).
However, the default Symbol font also doesn't include the vertical
ellipsis. In my HTML output, I see the vertical ellipsis just fine. In
PDF I only see the replacement hash character.

I think I'll need to add a font-family that supports my character to
my Apache FOP configuration. It looks like Arial Unicode MS has that
glyph, plus a lot more.

Has anyone had to render obscure characters in PDF and can you share
the way you did it? Is adding a huge font family like Arial Unicode MS
a reasonable way to get the glyphs I need?

Thanks!

Peter