Subject: Re: XML databases

Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:
> What use cases are there for dropping a few hundred
> XML files into a (purpose built for XML) database?

I put XML in a database for the ability to index and search it,
primarily. Here’s a screenshot of my personal “evernote clone” that
stores a combination of XML and other formats.

PNG image

The documents that contained the word DocBook (stemmed appropriately,
so DocBooking and DocBooked, if they were words, would also have
matched) are found quickly. The facets are constructed from other
fields in the those documents.

The ability to quickly search and use indexes to build facets allows
me to make an application that would be more difficult without a
database.

>  I can see a risk (db failure) above the file system
> failure risks.

Backups. You want to have backups!

> Has anyone done that assessment and decided in
> favour of a database over the file system?

For a few hundred documents, it’s probably hard to make a compelling
argument for a database unless you want to build applications like the
one I described above.

For a few hundred thousand documents, ti’s probably hard to make a
compelling case for the filesystem.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--