Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Japanese index

On 24.4.2018 21:53, Tony Graham wrote:
>> But it is still unclear how to tweak the index code to generate groups
>> from
>> non-latin characters.
>
> I don't know, either.

DocBook stylesheets support three methods of indexing, see:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/IndexIntl.html

In "kosek" method you can easily define groups based on the first or
first two characters of indexed words. Unfortunately there is currently
no suitable definition for Japanese. And my Japanese knowledge is not
enough to create such definition.

But internals of this methods are described in the following paper:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.131.2069&rep=rep1&type=pdf

This might give you enough clue to adapt it to Japanese. If you will be
successful it would be great if you can contribute definitions back to
the stylesheets. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

> It's probably not what you want to hear, but Antenna House does have a
> commercial product for doing DocBook indexes:
>
> https://www.antennahouse.com/antenna1/i18n-index-library/

Isn't this newer version of library that is needed for "kimber" indexing
method? I though that Elliot intended to convince AH to make this
library open-source, but it seems that my memory is wrong.

     Professional XML and Web consulting and training services
DocBook/DITA customization, custom XSLT/XSL-FO document processing