Subject: merging secondary index terms

hi,
I create a subject index for my docbook documents but I'm getting multiple entries for primary/secondary terms when I should be getting a single primary with multiple secondaries.

Just wondered if others have conquered a similar problem that I can learn from.
Currently using Python and lxml to merge them, but it's kind of messy.

thanks,
--Tim
Here's pseudo-output of the situation:
------------