Subject: Changing toc parameter values by chapter

It appears to me that the parameters that control the placement and content of tocs apply at a document level. What I am wondering is if it is possible to to set different values for 'generate.toc', 'toc.section.depth', 'toc.max.dept' etc for different chapters/appendices?

In my document (being output as chunked html) most chapters/appendices only need a table of contents at the top of the chapter with toc.section.depth=2, toc.max.depth=2. There are some chapters with considerable detail that would benefit from also having a table of contents inserted at the top sect3 with toc.max.depth=1. And there is one appendix that only needs one toc at the top with a max depth of 1.

Is there an easy way to obtain this variety? Or am I heading down the path to madness?

Thanks,

Tom