docbook-comment message

Subject: Re: [docbook-comment] Re: Invitation to comment on DocBook Schema V5.2 before call for consent as OASIS Standard - ends January 18th

> It's impossible for us to comment on DocBook Schema V5.2 because aside
> your short document describing the V5.2 changes, we failed to find any
> usable documentation about DocBook V5.2.

Iâm sorry youâre finding the documentation difficult to navigate. Itâs
been online since at least the first beta releases of what would
become 5.2. If it can be improved, Iâll do my best.

> * In "DocBook 5.2: The Definitive Guide"
>
> https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/

Thatâs the one.

> attributes other than "Common linking attributes" are not documented.
> Or, may be they are, but there are no links from an element to all its
> attributes. See for example: "blockquote",
> https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/blockquote

I think youâve identified a bug in the transformation. That page should
link to both the Common Attributes and the Common Linking Attributes.
I appear to have lost one of the links in the last build. Sorry about
that and thank you for the report.

Blockquote doesnât have any other attributes, but if you look at the
documentation for an element that does, for example, indexterm
(https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/indexterm.singular), youâll find that
additional attributes are documented in the âAttributesâ section on the
reference page.

> * "DocBook 5.2: The Definitive Guide" does not contain any information
>   about the specificities of the (XInclude) transclusion supported by
>   DocBook V5.2. For example, about the new trans:idfixup,
>   trans:suffix, and trans:linkscope common attributes.

The trans:* attributes are documented in 2. Common Attributes
(https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/ref-elements#common.attributes) and
2.3 Common Transclusion Attributes
(https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.2/ref-elements#common.transclusion.attributes)

> PS: Some of our XMLmind products and open source software support
> DocBook V5.1 and we would like to update them to support V5.2 in the
> next few months.

Cool.

If I can help in any way, please let me know.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norm Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>