docbook-elearning message

Subject: Fwd: Re: [docbook-apps] Creating learning materials from DocBook?

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [docbook-apps] Creating learning materials from DocBook?
Date: 	Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:36:52 -0700
From: 	E L L I P S Y S <denis.gillain@ellipsys.fr>
To: 	Hudson, Scott <Scott.Hudson@flatironssolutions.com>

Le mardi 8 décembre 2009, Scott Hudson a écrit :
>  Folks,
>
>  are you currently creating training documentation or learning materials
>  from DocBook?
>
>  If so, the DocBook eLearning subcommitte wants to hear from you!
>
>  Tell us how you've needed to extend DocBook to meet your eLearning
>  needs. What is missing? What would make your life easier? What tools or
>  standards do you need your content to interoperate with?
>
>  Thanks and best regards,
>
>  --Scott
>
>  Scott Hudson
>  Chair, DocBook eLearning SC
>
>  Senior XML Architect
>  Scott.Hudson@flatironssolutions.com
>  http://www.flatironssolutions.com

Hello Scott,

We at Ellipsys, do an intense use of docbook to write our courses. We sell
formation on Unix/Linux, and languages as C or C++. Each participant receives
a copy of our manual, which is a PDF file (the file included is the C++ one,
available in french only)

We did a little customisation from Norm's and Bob's stylesheet, specially on
the<sidebar>  tag, to make some parts look like a diapo. The most problematic
aspect is the writing of exercices and their corrections. Each of our chapters
ends with a set of exercices, let say 4 exercices by example. The set by
itself is a huge<orderedlist>. Each exercice is then a<listitem>  within that
list; by that way each exercice is numbered. That is not well appropriate,
and makes it difficult to have break pages at the right place, specially because
each solution, which is a<listitem>  within another<orderedlist>, itself in
an<appendix>  may contain samples in flat text.

Scott, we write you since you asked for it, but we do not know if our answer
is appropriate. We were a little busy to do it earlier. Docbook and the
stylesheets are the basement of our material, we appreciate to work with
standards like XML, and with docbook specially. Tell us if we could be usefull
in any way.

--

Cordialement, Denis Gillain, http://www.ellipsys.fr

E      L      L      I      P      S      Y      S

+33 (0) 1 39 68 32 51 -  denis.gillain@ellipsys.fr

CPP.10-Dec-2009.pdf