Subject: [docbook-tc] Bob's action item

I'm following up on my action item for RFE 558443
where the user was requesting an element to record
the storage location of a document, such as "the latest
version can be found at http://...";.

Below is the mail I exchanged with the requester
suggesting that the new Dublin Core
elements can be used for that purpose.  He suggested that they
weren't a perfect match, but that they could be used
for the purpose and that a new element wasn't needed.

I also investigated the W3C markup for this, and found
they use the following markup in the XSL spec.  The <loc>
element is an xlink that records one item, and they have
containers named <publoc>, <otherversions>, <latestloc>,
and <prevlocs>.  The indents show the nesting.

<publoc>
  <loc href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/";
            show="replace" actuate="user"
            xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
       http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/
  </loc>

  <otherversions>
    <loc href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/xslspecRX.pdf";
                          show="replace" actuate="user"
                          xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
      PDF by RenderX
    </loc>,
    <loc href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/xslspec.xml";
                          show="replace" actuate="user"
                          xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
      XML file
    </loc>,
    <loc href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/xslspec.html";
                          show="replace" actuate="user"
                          xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
      HTML (one large file)
    </loc>,
    <loc href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/xs011015.zip";
                          show="replace" actuate="user"
                          xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
      ZIP file
    </loc>
  </otherversions>

</publoc>

<latestloc>
  <loc href="http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/";
                        show="replace" actuate="user"
                        xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/
  </loc>
</latestloc>

<prevlocs>
  <loc href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-xsl-20010828/";
                        show="replace" actuate="user"
                        xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-xsl-20010828/
  </loc>
</prevlocs>

I think this information can be captured in the dublin
core <bibliorelation> element if the role attribute
is assigned some local semantics.  For example:

<bibliorelation class="other"
                otherclass="ulink"
                type="hasversion"
                role="public-otherversions">
  <ulink url="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/xslspecRX.pdf";>
                          show="replace" actuate="user"
                          xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink";>
      PDF by RenderX
  </ulink>
</bibliorelation>

I was tempted to set the class="uri", but the actual
content is text wrapped in ulink, not just a uri.
Can a ulink be considered a 'uri'?

If someone wants to establish their own set of enumerated
role attributes, the bibliorelation.role.attrib parameter
entity is available for customization.

I think we can close this RFE without taking any action.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com