Subject: info on citation item

Markus Hoenicka asked me to forward this information to
the Committee for our Wednesday meeting.

From: "Markus Hoenicka" <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:52:35 +0100
To: Bob Stayton <bobs@sco.com>
Cc: Development of an XML core vocabulary for bibliographic references
<BIBLIOFILE@LISTS.UCC.IE>
Subject: citation proposal

Hi Bob,

this is the latest and greatest version of our citation proposal,
which I ask you to distribute to the participants of the upcoming
DocBook TC meeting.

--8<-----

Improved citation support in DocBook
====================================

[This proposal is an updated version of the one discussed at the
DocBook TC meeting in November. The proposal was condensed
considerably based on the suggestions during the meeting.]

Changes to the previous version:
- boiled down to the bare bones: addition of <biblioref>
- use end instead of stop as an attribute to ease tab completion

Addition of a new <biblioref> element

Example:

<citation><biblioref linkend="Miller1999" unit="chapter"
start="2" /></citation>

Code required:
Addition of elements with the following content models and attributes:

<!ELEMENT biblioref - - EMPTY >
<!ATTLIST biblioref linkend IDREF #REQUIRED
                    endterm IDREF #IMPLIED
                    unit NMTOKEN #IMPLIED
                    start NMTOKEN #IMPLIED
                    end NMTOKEN #IMPLIED
                    renderas (full|author|year|title) #IMPLIED

Inclusion of <biblioref> wherever <xref> is allowed

Optional: allow NMTOKENS in the start attribute to accommodate lists
of pages, like in "<biblioref linkend="Miller1999" unit="pages"
start="34-36 40-44" />

--8<-----

We'd greatly appreciate if the TC could discuss this proposal in the
next meeting.

regards,
Markus

Bob Stayton