Subject: Re: Docbook tree location

     Below.

>Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] Re: Docbook tree location
>From: Mark Johnson <mrj@debian.org>
>To: docbook-tc@lists.oasis-open.org
>Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:23:00 -0700
>
>Norman Walsh wrote:
>>Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> was heard to say:
>>>It looks like the subdirectories at the OASIS site (in particular, the
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/ page) still haven't been updated.
>>
>>I got notification from the webmaster yesterday that they had been
>>updated, but I agree it isn't working yet. I'm still investigating.
>>
>>>I'd like to propose that we give up on trying to maintain any publicly
>>>accessible content at OASIS other than the stuff under that shows up
>>>under the http://www.oasis-open.org/committees and instead just ask them
>>>to set up their Web server to have everything under
>>>http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ redirected to the corresponding
>>>subdirectories at http://docbook.org/
>>
>>I think that would be in violation of the revised process.
>
>Does anyone else besides me find this state of affairs to be not just
>super-annoying, but downright unacceptable?

     Yes.
     Our tech staff is working in real time to fix the document tree
updates, with diligent hounding from your TC's staff contact Mary McRae
who, essentially, took over my position when I took Karl
Best's.  Necessarily we do this, and anything like it, within the
consortium's policy constraints, which include transparency, scalability,
platform-neutrality, and assurance of archival persistence.
     DocBook, as one of our more mature efforts, puts pressure on us to get
these functionalities right, both due to its level of mature deployment,
and its legacy configuration.  That pressure is healthy, and we hope to be
responding to it much more robustly, shortly.  My apologies to the TC for
our not having yet fully achieved that.
    Regards  JBC

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   +1 978 667 5115 x 203 central office
~   +1 310 293 6739 mobile