Subject: Fw: DocBook TC action item.

I'm forwarding this to the whole committee.

bobs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rowland, Larry" <larry.rowland@hp.com>
To: "Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:08 PM
Subject: RE: DocBook TC action item.

Bob,

Below is my draft of a proposal for the mathphrase element.  Sorry it is
coming in so late, but things have been crush around here the last two
weeks.  I sent a copy to Norm earlier and have had Dick Hamilton review
it, but other than that, I have not circulated it.  It is in flat ASCII;
I can mark it up in DocBook if that would help, but ASCII is pretty
simple to review.

I am afraid I must also give my regrets for the meeting.  We have a
program review going on tomorrow and for some reason the three levels of
management that are in attendance feel that it is more important for me
to attend it than the DocBook TC meeting.  If I can sneak out I will,
but I doubt I will make it.

Proposal to Add Mathphrase to the DocBook DTD

Purpose
-------

The mathphrase element is used for representing equations that are not
notationally complex enough to require a graphic or mathml expression,
but would benefit from simple semantic expressions such as emphasis
and super- and subscript.

The content model for two current elements would be extended, equation
and informalequation:

equation ::=
(blockinfo?,
 (title,titleabbrev?)?,
 (informalequation|
  (alt?,
   (graphic+|mediaobject+|
    (mathphrase,sbr?)+))))

informalequation ::=
(blockinfo?,
 (alt?,
  (graphic+|mediaobject+
   (mathphrase,sbr?)+)))

The content model for mathphrase would be

mathphrase ::=
(#PCDATA|varname|parameter|constant|symbol|superscript|subscript|emphasi
s)*

This would allow representation of notationally simple equations such
as

<equation>
  <title>Einstein's Famous One</title>
  <alt>E=mc^2</alt>
  <mathphrase>
    <varname>E</varname> =

  </mathprhase>
</equation>

(Indented for clarity, you might want to run it together to get rid of
the spaces).

Issues:

The definition of constant needs to be expanded.

Rendering expectations for constant may be different in mathphrase
than in cmdsynopsis.  We may need an additional class added to
constant for math (class="math").  I am not sure whether that is also
true of varname and parameter, but we should add class="math" to
parameter, which already has a class.  I don't think it is necessary
to add a class parameter to varname.  The class parameter would be for
use in contexts such as para, to disambiguate the meaning.

The definitions and descriptions of constant and the description of
parameter will need to be modified for the broader context this
creates.

I am not sure whether replaceable needs to be added to the content
model.  It doesn't seem to be necessary, but may be thought of as
being a valid content element.

LRR

[ Larry Rowland             | If you want to build a ship, don't drum ]
[ DTP in CSIL               | up the men to gather the wood, divide   ]
[ Hewlett-Packard           | the work, and give orders. Instead,     ]
[ 3404 East Harmony Road    | teach them to yearn for the vast and    ]
[ Fort Collins, CO  80528   | endless sea. - Antoine de Saint Exupery ]
[ FAX:   970/898-2188   E-Mail:larry.rowland@.hp.com                  ]