Subject: Re: [docbook-tc] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Agenda: 18October 2006

>> 9.  Unfinished business: RFE 1097183: Allow Task as a sibling
>> of sections
>
> I'm opposed to this.  Having multiple division-like
> things as siblings is a bad idea, and even if we have
> that in places now, I don't want to make things worse.

Can you elaborate why you think it's a bad idea?

> If you want to use DITA, use DITA.  Let's not make a
> mess of DocBook.

That's not a productive answer.  Technical writing is quickly
becoming very modular.  Whether we like it or not (personally, I'm
not a fan), we have to address those needs if DocBook is to remain a
relevant standard.

DITA was created because people believe DocBook can't meet the needs
of module-based content.  While I think that's mostly false, we have
an enormous perception problem.

Let's see if we can work together to solve that.

Steven Cogorno
Sun Microsystems