Subject: RE: [docbook-tc] Surname and Firstname

Bruce,

Thanks -- both are great suggestions.

The ordering attribute could easily be added to the personname wrapper.  Given the number of child elements of personname, it might be a little more difficult to determine exactly what it means, but it certainly makes sense for technical information that includes bibliographical information.

For the alternative forms, does it make more sense to simply allow multiple instances of the name elements with an appropriate attribute to designate the purpose of the element or to have an alternate element (such as <altnameform type="romanized">) to handle the various alternatives and let it be presented in whatever form the author provides?

Best Regard,
Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Rosenblum [mailto:bruce@inera.com]
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 7:56 PM
To: Rowland, Larry; DocBook Technical Committee

Larry,

A few quick comments, from the world of STM publishing:

1. An attribute that can be used to give the prefer display order of
names (given-name followed by surname, or vice versa) can be quite
helpful. See the NLM DTD for an example
(http://dtd.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/n-gth0.html).

2. Some publishers are adding a secondary name element so the
author's name can be added in the character set of their native
language. For example, the American Physical Society publishes author
names for Chinese, Korean, and Japanese authors in both the
ideographic and Romanized forms. Having elements for multiple written
name forms is good to add if you're looking to make changes in this area.

Best regards,

Bruce