Subject: Fwd: [docbook] Recursive use of elements <option> and <optional>

Jürgen points out that DocBook 5 restricts the content of <option> and <optional> much more than DocBook 4. Indeed, DocBook 4's content models included the entire %tech.char.class; which had all the technical elements, while DocBook 5.0 and 5.1 have only a short list of general inline text elements. I don't see anything in the Transition Guide about this change. Does anyone recall why we did this, and if there is an alternative way of expressing complex syntax examples?

--
Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 07:58:43 +0200
From: Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de>
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

In docbook 4.x it was possible to use <optional> in a recursive way, eg: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html or https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-select.html. Optional elements often are only valid under the additional demand, that they are part of another optional element. The same holds true for arguments of commands or procedures.

We try to upgrade to docbook 5.x, but the schema doesn't allow the recursive use of <option> and <optional>. Do you have an advice how to express such situations? Do you have plans to modify the docbook 5 schema to allow recursive use of the two elements?

Kind Regards
Jürgen Purtz
juergen@purtz.de