Subject: DOCBOOK: Line breaks

I guess this is for Norm:

We use a home-grown DTD to author XML documents,
which are then transformed to DocBk XML instances
(currently using DSSSL/Jade).
By popular author request, our authoring DTD
offers an inline empty element "newline" to
mark a line break within a paragraph. This has
proved very convenient for passages like:

*****
on the following features:</p>
<unorderedlist>
<item>
Blah blah blah...</p>
</item>
<item>
Blah blah blah...</p>
</item>
</unorderedlist>
*****
What is the best way of handling "newline"
in our transformation to DocBk (without
customizing the DocBk DTD)?
Do Norm's DocBk2HTML stylesheets expect a particular
processing instruction for a line break, and if so, what is it?
If not, how do Norm's DocBk2HTML stylesheets treat unknown PIs?

<aside>Er..uhmm..I am asking these questions in the assumption
that a request for including something like "newline"
in DocBook would be a vain one - though "newline" is,
is it not, structural information?<duck/></aside>

Thanks and regards,
Dr. Marc Beckers
Documentation Consultant
Software AG