Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Line breaks

| The context I have seen authors use ad hoc newlines are
| usually something equivalent to <para role="weak">.  That
| is, "end of that thought, start a new thought", but not a
| full paragraph break.  I know it seems like a fine
| distinction in the abstract, but it is important to the
| author in that context.  When I tell authors that they have
| to wrap their content in <literallayout> to preserve that
| line break, I get ugly looks because they don't want to
| preserve all line breaks, just that one.

I hope you give them ugly looks in return, Bob, because
in print there are paragraphs and ... no such thing as
nonparagraphs or demiparagraphs.  If they haven't figured
out whether they're starting a new para, they need to
figure harder.

I know it's hard to get good help these days ...

best regards, Terry