Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: jadetex producing different output each time run

maarten de boer wrote:

> Everytime I run jadetex, it behaves different.

Welcome to the wacky wonderful world of cross-reference generation with
TeX!

Yes, as with LaTeX and other systems that generate cross-references with
TeX, it's traditional to run jadetex three times.  Three shall be the
number of the times you run TeX, and the number of times you run TeX
shall be three.  Four is OK, but two is not enough.  Five is not right
out, but is also just fine.  Six is fine, too.  So is 7, 8, and 9.

> What am I doing wrong?

Absolutely nothing.

You need to run TeX once in order to generate the page number cross
references that go into the .aux file.  You then need to run TeX again
so that the cross references from the .aux file get inserted into the
document.  But the act of inserting them could cause pagination, so you
run TeX again to insert the possibly corrected page number references.

Certain fonts may have unusual width of numbers, though, and you might
get an occasional incorrect page reference.

In the FreeBSD project, we keep running jadetex until the .aux file
doesn't change.

Take care.
--Sean