Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Newbie: Overwrite contents of a dbl1XX.ent file

/ Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com.br> was heard to say:
| While this topic is on discussion, I'd like to ask you what about
| implementing another language in DocBook? The problem is: there's a
| "pt" file, which stands for portuguese. According to some ISO standard
| (sorry, I don't remember which one) some countries have 4 letter
| designation for their idiom. As an example, for Portugal we have pt
| and pt_PT. For Brazil we use pt_BR.

Right. That's OK. For Brazil, create dbl1ptbr.ent and/or dbl1ptbr.dsl.

| I was interested on creating a pt_BR translation of DocBook messages
| and use it as an official translation, so we would have to have a
| valid filename (this is other problem: Windows compatibility) and
| include it in DocBook.

dbl1ptbr is a valid filename. If you prefer dbl1pt_br, that's OK
by me, too. I've long since given up supporting 8.3 names. All
the recent Windows releases allow you to have long filenames.

| > This turns out to be remarkably difficult to achieve, which is a
| > shame. Basically, you have to make sure that your definitions override
| > the definitions loaded in {html|print}/dbl1de.dsl. This basically
| > means you have to reproduce the whole {html|print}/docbook.dsl driver file,
| > making sure that the right values get loaded.
|
| Aren't the messages in {html|print} the same? If they aren't, why
| there's this difference? If they are, why are they duplicated? I made
| a comparison between the files and what I got was this:

There are a few extra messages in the HTML versions.

| -(define (gentext-pt-nav-home home)
| -  (make sequence (literal "Home")))

| [godoy@nexus godoy]$
|
| IMHO, these definitions in the print version wouldn't make sense BUT,
| as they aren't used, they could be there so that we could have a
| single file instead of two. It would make translator's life easier
| (and reduce disk space used).

Yes, putting them in the same place would make more sense, I
guess, but the vast majority of the translation stuff is in the
.ent file, so it isn't as bad as it might seem at first.

| Just to remember: ;-) I want to do that with "my" pt_BR version. :-)

Send me the pt_BR version of dbl1pt.ent and I'll make it part of the
official distrib ;-)

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | He would like to start from
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | scratch. Where is scratch?--Elias
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | Canetti