Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Allow StartsWith/ContinuationOf on OrderedList?

/ Terry Allen <tallen@sonic.net> was heard to say:
| |   <orderedlist id="list1">
| 1 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 2 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 3 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 4 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 5 |     <listitem>
| |       <orderedlist id="list2">
| 1 |         <listitem>...</listitem>
| 2 |         <listitem>...</listitem>
| |       </orderedlist>
| |     </listitem>
| |   </orderedlist>
| |
| |   <orderedlist id="list3" continuation="continues">
| 6 |     <listitem id="citem">...</listitem>
| 7 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| |   </orderedlist>
| |
| |   What is the proper value for the numeration of listitem "citem"?
| |
| | Cannot be "5", I feel obligated to offer the document author
| | some way to assert that it is "5", since that is a reasonable
| | thing for the author to want to do.
|
| If you mean 6,

Yes, I did. Drat and blast!

| the markup so asserts.  How not?

I think the markup asserts 3:

| |   <orderedlist id="list1">
| 1 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 2 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 3 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 4 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| 5 |     <listitem>
| |       <orderedlist id="list2">
| 1 |         <listitem>...</listitem>
| 2 |         <listitem>...</listitem>
| |       </orderedlist>
| |     </listitem>
| |   </orderedlist>
| |
| |   <orderedlist id="list3" continuation="continues">
| 3 |     <listitem id="citem">...</listitem>
| 4 |     <listitem>...</listitem>
| |   </orderedlist>

I think list2 is the closest preceding list, not list1.

| | 2. Add a "ContinuationOf" attribute which is an IDREF to the list
| |    which the author would like to continue.
| |
| |    Pros: robust; solves the problem
| |    Cons: slightly more complex; less flexible, you can't just number
| |          a list starting at 37 because you like the number 37.
| |
| | I prefer 2. I suppose we could add both 1 and 2, but we've
| | generally tried to resist solving problems that people didn't
| | claim to have (yet).
|
| Should be a ulink, not an IDREF.

ULink? You want to do this by fragment identifier? I guess
that's forward thinking, but I'm not sure I'm ready to go that
far.

| | If we elect to go with option 2, then we should probably
| | deprecate and then remove "Continuation".
|
| No, continuation is the easy thing.

Not if we can't agree on the semantics! :-)

| But it's all a good topic for face-to-face.  BTW, are
| we resolved not to go to summer camp again this year?

We've agreed to three meetings, XTech, XML Europe, and XML/MT.
No mention of the summer camp.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Everything in the univese goes by
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | indirection. There are no straight
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | lines.--Emerson