Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBookX

/ "E.L. Willighagen" <egonw@sci.kun.nl> was heard to say:
| 1) can i use DocBook (SGML version) software with the XML variant?

Yes. XML is SGML. Just use the appropriate SGML declaration. (Ok, this
answer assumes your SGML version software supports alternate declarations,
which isn't necessarily true, but...)

What tools do you want to use?

| 2) what conversion are available for DocBook? to (La)Tex and RTF for example?

There are freely available DSSSL stylesheets that go from
DocBook to JadeTeX and RTF as well as HTML. There are also XSL
stylesheets that go from DocBook to HTML and XSL Formatting
Objects. XSL FOs can (to a limited extent at the moment since
the spec isn't fully cooked) be translated into (at least) PDF
by FOP and I think there are several other FO tools available or
"in the works".

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | What good is a can of worms if you
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | never open it?--Bob Arning