Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: low/high resolution images

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 07:37:21AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Michael Wiedmann <mw@miwie.in-berlin.de> was heard to say:
> | In a <MediaObject> tag I want to specify different files for different
> | rendering in HTML (low resolution) and print output (high resolution).
>
> If you specify that the high resolution image is EPS or some other
> format not suitable for online display, then you'll naturally get
> the split that you want.
>
> If they're both suitable, say a high and low resolution PNG, that is
> a more interesting issue.
>
> | Even better I want to use low resolution images for HTML output linked
> | to the original high resolution images.
> |
> | Is there a way to do this using DocBook and DSSSL stylesheets?
>
> This would definitely require a little stylesheet work. Are both the
> high and low resolution images PNGs or something?

Let's suppose they are.

It's a very interesting issue. I can think a way using parameter
entities, but not with automatic selection.

Another alternative is having two stylesheets and letting the
stylesheet automatically choose the extension for the image, and using
two extensions for filenames (e.g. file.hi.eps and file.lo.eps).

Are there other alternatives?

--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>               GPG Fingerprint
                                         851B B620 626D 2AD0 E783

Except where explicitly stated I speak on my own behalf.
Exceto onde explicitado as declarações aqui feitas são apenas minhas.