Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: HTML output with Jade - Problem

/ Stéphane Bline <sbline@apsydev.com> was heard to say:
| Thank you for your answer. What I would ideally need is the following:
| chunks at chapters & books, NOT at the various section levels like sect1 or
| sect2. And that seems to be the case for the DocBook compiled HTML version.

Just change the chunk table in your custom stylesheet:

(define (chunk-element-list)
  (list (normalize "preface")
	(normalize "chapter")
	(normalize "appendix")
	(normalize "article")
	(normalize "glossary")
	(normalize "bibliography")
	(normalize "index")
	(normalize "colophon")
	(normalize "setindex")
	(normalize "reference")
	(normalize "refentry")
	(normalize "part")
	(normalize "sect1")
	(normalize "section")
	(normalize "book") ;; just in case nothing else matches...
	(normalize "set")  ;; sets are definitely chunks...
	))

| If you look at the chuncks and at the sgml source file, that seems to be the
| case. Or do you have a different source for the HTML version ?

Do you mean, do I have a different file for the HTML Help
version of DocBook: TDG? Yes, I'm sure I do. There are a few
hacks in there :-)

| I also noticed that the chunking algorithm behaves strangely. If a chapter
| has, say 3 sect1 sections and you output this using the HTML stylesheets the
| result is puzzling. The first HMTL file contains the beginning of the
| chapter plus the first sect1 section and the other 2 sect1 sections are each
| rendered in a separate HTML file. Is this working as designed ?

Yes. Usually there isn't much before the first sect1, so this works OK,
and it's much better in the case where someone starts a chapter with a sect1
with no introductory material.

You can change this behavior by changing:

(define (chunk-skip-first-element-list)
  (list (normalize "sect1")
	(normalize "section")))

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Everything is temporary.