Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Docbook and XSL stylesheets

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
Guillaume Rouchy writes:
 > > >Yes, XT can produce HTML documents.
 > >
 > > And something for PDF?

this is why god gave you FOP (see http://xml.apache.org) and
PassiveTeX (http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex).

Sebastian

I have tried following Sebastian's instructions for passivetex with partial success:

java com.jclark.xsl.sax.Driver teiu5.xml tei.xsl teiu5.fo
runs without error and creates teiu5.fo (464K, not 456K as in the sample)

pdftex -ini "&pdflatex" pdffotex.ini
runs without error and creates pdffotex.fmt (not fotex.fmt as stated)

so the pdftex command needs to be:
pdftex "&pdffotex" teiu5.fo (not pdftex "&fotex" teiu5.fo)

Also, the second line of teiu5.xml was
<?xml-stylesheet href="ie5.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>
should this have been
<?xml-stylesheet href="tei.xsl" type="text/xsl"?> ?

I changed it to be so, though it made no difference in the subsequent behavior. Anyway, I ran pdftex "&pdffotex" teiu5.fo twice, the first time it generated a pdf file with no page numbers, and the second time it put in the page numbers. Many messages appeared in the log file, mostly about fonts, but we can talk about that later if necessary. The pdf file is generated and has a size of 257K (not 638K as in the sample). All of the text seems to be there, though there are cosmetic differences in the formatting and none of the hypertext works.

Anyway, my question is, "where do the supporting *.sty, *.def, and *.ltx files go?" Not being a TeX person, I just put them in the same directory as teiu5.xml. Do they need to go in some TeX directory? I am running tetex-1.0.6-7 under Redhat 6.1. I can see that hyperref is part of this distribution, but the other files aren't.

--
Kevin M. Dunn
kevinmd@hsc.edu