Subject: One Word User's Suggestions to DocBook under NT (was RE: DOCBOOK: Dockbook under NT)

While I agree that Markus has done a great job here, but please be forward
this is not for the fainthearted. I tried this again a month ago and spent
about two days on and off. I finally gave up on the process. Sorry, I just
like WYSIWG too much. I understand the benefit that DocBook gives, but I
just don't like the "Open Source" tool and can not justify the cost of the
professional tools.

I'd suggest playing with Emacs first, before going too far down this path. I
know a lot of people just love it. I find it a jump back to the dark ages.
It just doesn't behave anything like a Windows application, because that
have just made it work on Windows. This is great if you are Mac user, but
this is terrible if you familar with the Windows tools. You really do need
to like Emacs, if you hate Emacs -- just stop it does get better than this.

If you are a Linux user or fan, I would suggest just using the tools on
Linux. If you don't have it installed, it might not be a bad idea to do a
dual boot. With the ease of Linux installs today, you might be up and
running faster this way. Most versions of Linux install all of this stuff by
default, i.e. it just works. Even with Markus notes, expect to spend a lot
of time tweaking stuff.

If you can't install Linux, then read Markus stuff all the way through
before you even start. When you start the process, keep the document or web
site handy. You will be doing a lot of copying and pasting. If you are in
the US, you might find that Ghostscript will default to A4. You'll need to
jump in the pdf.ini, I think, and edit it by hand. If you have this problem
e-mail me, I'll dig up my notes.

You will find it easier to download the Jade stuff from James Clark's site
than the one mentioned in the Markus document. Just go to google and search
for Jade. Make that you download the applications, I screwed up and
downloaded the source the first time. It would not compile with VC++ 6.0. I
have neither the skill or the inclination to see what was wrong, but I
expect that it was a environment variable.

I've thought of creating a Wise install for all this to make easier, but I
want a better solution. I'm still looking when I find something, I'll let
you guys know.

Regards,

Jeff