Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Latin-2 character entities in html

    Norman> / Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> was heard to
    Norman> say: | Actually, these macron characters are actually
    Norman> Latin-4 not Latin-2, so | TDG is mis-leading at best.

    Norman> Uh, if I listed them in isolat2, then they're in the
    Norman> isolat2 ISO entity set. If they aren't actually in the ISO
    Norman> Latin 2 character set, um, I'm not sure what to say.

I think you just have to blush :-)

I've just checked by looking in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps (comes with
glibc on my RedHat system) as my information came second hand (I asked
a Polish friend (I thought he ought to know), who replied that all the
macron characters were Latin-4 (Latvia and Lithuania)). Sure enough,
the word MACRON occurs in the file ISO-8859-4, but not in ISO-8859-2.

    Norman> | Latin-1 characters). I guess there must be some way of
    Norman> telling the | browsers what font to use for the pages in
    Norman> the article, but I don't | know what the html markup is
    Norman> for this, nor how to go about achieving | it in DocBook.

    Norman> If you find out the former, I'll try to help with the
    Norman> latter. I think it'll turn out to be a markup+stylesheet
    Norman> issue.

Well, I found out how to set the character set to utf-8 (from this
list), but I had two problems with this - firstly, the characters
looked to be a very different typeface from the rest of the document,
and secondly, Netscape wouldn't display the &mdash; character using
that character set.

I just can't win! I've decided to stick with using circumflex
characters for these vowels in the html version, but to use the proper
characters in the pdf or postscript versions.

Now, how to do this. I can do it with a sed script on the resulting
html pages, but as this is a bodge, I'd rather do it via
markup/stylesheets. Also, I shall want to put a footnote in the html
version, to explain the accent substitution, but I would rather not
have this appear in the postscript/pdf versions.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire