Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook 4.0 - SGML or XML?

/ Daniël Beukers <dabe@betronic.nl> was heard to say:
| > I believe anyone starting out fresh would be
| > better off in the long run by choosing XML.
| >
| That includes me. I was allready aware of this much, but then one still has
| to choose between XSL and DSSSL. I have a feeling that XSL will outlive
| DSSSL in the long run, but how solid is XSL at this moment?

For transformations from XML to HTML, pretty solid. For print
rendering, much less solid. The XSL FO spec is finally settling down
and tools are coming along (PassiveTeX, FOP, RenderX), but the
stylesheets aren't as robust yet.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It is good to have an end to
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | journey toward; but it is the
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | journey that matters, in the