Subject: Re[2]: DOCBOOK: General roadmap questions

Hi Stephen,

There are other vendor choices than the ones that were suggested
to you.  In some ways ArborText's products could be said to be the
best, but I don't know that they are best for anyone starting out
with *ML, or being the main tool if XML is your orientation.

You might like Adobe's FrameMaker+SGML, or SoftQuad's XMetaL, since
I think it's fair to say both are simpler to start using DocBook with ..
FrameMaker+SGML out-of-the box comes with a DocBook set-up, although not
the most recent.  If you want non-XML-gurus (ordinary engineers, or marketing
people) to edit content, we've found that XMetaL is a very good choice - we
actually recommend adding XMetaL tool to FM+SGML workgroups to some
customers.

Yes, we sell both products (also provide consulting).  We're also pretty
close to you - a long-ish bike ride away in North Vancouver.  However,
you should check things out - at least in XMetaL's case, it's
a much simpler product.  (And far cheaper, also  %^)

SR> We are looking at using DocBook for our internal documentation.  I
SR> have been able to succesfully generate a DocBook document using just a
SR> text editor but this isn't a reasonable solution for marketing and
SR> even our programmers will probably show less resistance if there are
SR> some easy to use tools available.

SR> I have tried to navigate the Arbortext site, but it isn't clear what
SR> we would need.  I am not sure why they have split their product into
SR> so many pieces.  For example, what is the difference between the Epic
SR> Editor and Epic Editor LE?  And why would I need a separate
SR> application to print -- is it not possible to print from within the
SR> editor?

As you might expect from Adobe, regular FrameMaker+SGML prints
beautifully, is 99.9% WYSIWYG, comes integrated with Acrobat
Distiller, etc.

Cheers,

-jae

--
John Eadie [JE46]  (604) 922-5104  Cell: (604) 728-5104
COMPUTING ART Inc ~ Incorporated '89 ~ http://www.c-art.com