Subject: Re: POD -> DocBook?

/ Tom_Roche@ncsu.edu was heard to say:
| However, I've been interested in DocBook (esp as implemented in XML),
| and some groups affiliated with this project are doing much more with
| it. This has caused me to wonder if one could do something like this:
|
| > <!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" [
| > <!ENTITY module1 SYSTEM "module1.pm">
| > <!ENTITY module2 SYSTEM "module2.pm">
| > <!ENTITY code3 SYSTEM "code3.pl">
| > <!ENTITY appa SYSTEM "appa.sgm">
| > <!ENTITY appb SYSTEM "appb.sgm">
| > ]>

| > &module1;
| > &module2;
| > &code3;
| > &appa;
| > &appb;
| > </book>

Not a chance. An SGML or XML document must consist entirely of valid
SGML or XML.

| In other words, I'd like to have a DocBook formatter to which I could
| just pass PODed Perl. It doesn't seem like brain surgery, but then
| I've very little hands-on experience with DocBook.

More likely what you'd need is a program, er, perl script :-), that
extracts the POD and produces XML. The pod2html script, or whatever
it's called, should be a good starting point.

| Can this be done? Has anyone done anything like this? Is there a
| better way? Your comments and suggestions are appreciated; DTDs and
| stylesheets would be thrilling :-)

Uh, a better way, IMHO, would be to write the documentation in DocBook
and downtranslate to POD if necessary. But as I observed at the Open
Source Documentation Summit, DocBook is my hammer... :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | [The internet is] the largest
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | equivalence class in the reflexive
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | transitive symmetric closure of