Subject: DOCBOOK: Building books with variables in them

Hi,

I have just got started with docbook, and I am building a pair of books for
Ethereal.  In the longer term, I envision using DocBook for all my
documentation, including my Samba course etc.

I am using the RH Linux 6.2 tools.

I want to be able to do the following:

1. pass parameters in from the command line so I can change things like
   the latest version through a command line switch

   Can I do this?

2. Graphics look better on the printed page if they are scaled to 50-60
   percent, but on a web site they look better as a thumbnail that the
   user clicks on to get the full image.

   How can I arrange it so I get different things happening with HTML vs
   PDF?

3. Depending on who the documentation is for, I want different cover pages,
   headers and footers, etc.

   How can I arrange to do all this?

Regards
-------