Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Date in PCDATA?

    Norman> When I send out documents for review, I always put a
    Norman> version number on them, and diligently bump that number
    Norman> the moment after I've sent a version out for review.

Hmmmm... It might work if all of your writers are disciplined. It
doesn't work on a production environment where you have translators
with no technical background on DocBook (they just ignore the tags or
know very little about them).

It would be useful with non-technical people. These people are
starting to use DocBook for creating reports (we have templates and
they fill in the holes), using with knowledgement management systems,
etc.

On such a knowledgement management system, I can correct one document
that is included (<!ENTITY something SYSTEM "file.sgml">) in another
and when I print this bigger document I would have the date it was
printed, independently from the document version (we use CVS numbers
so we wouldn't even need to put an specific markup on the document
since CVS has some keywords that are automatically substituted by
values). <today/> would allow me to print the document and use CVS
facilities to recover all files the way they were on the specific
date.

See you,
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.