Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Few questions

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Laurent Pointal wrote:

> 2) With the problem of catalog files, how do you resolve them with XML
> (they were a nice idea with SGML).
> I prefer to make my document having a public DocBook DTD, so that other
> users dont have to install DTDs exactly at the same place... but I would
> like tools to map the DTD identifier to my local files and not to search on
> the Internet each time... How is replaced the SGML_CATALOG_FILES?

Jade supports SGML_CATALOG_FILES. For XML tools written in Java is
possible to change entity resolver by class which does proper mapping.
ArborText have these classes on their web for free. I am succesfully using
these clasees with XT.

> 3) Trying to use an advanced editor (XMetal, XML Spy), bot say that DTD is
> not valid... (maybe a problem due to Question 2).
> And trying to use xt with XSL docbook files, xt tries to find my DTD on the
> web too.

Use ArborText classes. On my web is repackaged version of XT, which
contains ArborText classes. http://www.kosek.cz/xml/xt/xt.jar

To run it using SGML_CATALOG_FILES, use command like this:

@java -cp xt.jar com.arbortext.xsl.sax.Driver
-Dxml.catalog.files=%SGML_CATALOG_FILES% xml-source xsl-stylesheet
output-file

> 4) As the documentation promise to be large, I'm triying to spare it into
> books, chapters,... (and eventually parts of chapters) and I wants to have
> external entities declarations of next level files in the level where they
> are included (not have to regroup all that in the master document).
> Currently I'm doing it with declaring a DOCTYPE at the beginning of each
> file and with the adequate entities, this works with Jade and DSSSL. But I
> remember to have read that an included document must not declare a doctype
> - which seem normal with XML. So, is it the right way, else what is the
> right way?

Look at the book DocBook The Difinitive Guide (on-line available at
www.docbook.org). I hope there are examples of splitting one document
into multiple files.

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz