Subject: DOCBOOK: Newbie problem: using XSL stylesheet with DocBook DTD in IE5

Hi,

I'm pretty new to xml so this may be a stupid question, but I'd appreciate
some advice!

I've written some very simple xml that I'm trying to validate against the
DocBook xml dtd and then do a simple conversion to html using an XSL
stylesheet. I've copied the DocBook xml dtd to my system.

If I just link in the dtd, the document displays correctly in IE5 as an xml
tree.  Also, if I remove the dtd reference and specify the xsl file the
document appears formatted in IE5: again, OK.

However... if I put both references into the xml document I get the error:
"The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available." I try
refreshing IE but nothing changes.

I've checked that the xml document is valid using the MS validator and this
is OK. I've also tried writing my own very simple dtd for this xml document
and I have no problems at all, so I'm assuming I'm having a specific problem
with the DocBook dtd.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I've listed the xml and xsl documents below.

Many thanks,

Willie

XML DOCUMENT:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="docbooktest2.xsl"?> <!DOCTYPE book
SYSTEM
"docbkx412/docbookx.dtd">

<book>
  <bookinfo>
    <date>1999-09-13</date>
    <title>The Title of the Book</title>
    <subtitle>The Book's Subtitle</subtitle>
  </bookinfo>
  <toc></toc>
  <chapter>
    <title>Title of the first chapter</title>
    <para>Stuff</para>
    <sect1>
    </sect1>
  </chapter>
</book>

XSL FILE docbooktest2.xsl:

<xsl:stylesheet
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:apply-templates select="//title"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="title">
  <hr/>
  <xsl:value-of/>
  <hr/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

William Mearns
Software Engineer
Commercial Products					Tel: +44 (0)1344
854012
Johnson House						Fax: +44 (0)1344
856199
The Met. Office