Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: TeX backend bug, parser problems, and more CDATA

    BK> Using:
    BK>  <!DOCTYPE Book PUBLIC "-//GNOME//DTD DocBook PNG Variant V1.1//EN"[
    BK>    <!ENTITY  test.c system "test.c" >
    BK>  ]>

    BK> and the Linux docbook installation, I found a few oddities.
    BK> Firstly, a "<<" "<<=" ">>" ">>=" plaintext sequence
    BK> following <literallayout> or <! CDATA { is passed into
    BK> the intermediary TeX source. TeX seemingly translates this
    BK> into a (&lquot;/&rquot;, is it?) quotation marker. This
    BK> does not happen with HTML.

I don't know nothing about this weird behaviour... Things here seems
to be very consistent between HTML and other outputs (PS and PDF,
mainly).

    BK> Secondly, a
    BK>   func( &some );
    BK> line causes the parser to request a &some; entity.
    BK> I would expect this to either be ignored, or to
    BK> be reported as a "&some );" entity, but maybe I am
    BK> mistaken about how entities are properly terminated.

The ommission of the semi-colon is accepted. I also think this is a
bug, but it's considered that the entity is ended at the first no
alphanumerical element that is found (space, in this case). It would
make no sense to report the bug as "&some );" because spaces aren't
allowed in entities' names.

    BK> Misc, DocBook issues:
    BK> I use <literallayout> (for external ASCII documents
    BK> that might include C snipplets) and <programlisting>
    BK> (for example C source). I can use <![ CDATA [ to
    BK> avoid the "&some );" issue, but not the "<<" issue.
    BK> But I can't use &test.c inside an <![ CDATA [ block
    BK> to include an external entity. It's flat out ridiculous:
    BK> I can either use an external entity or use CDATA, but
    BK> I can't do both combined?

I use the 'linespecific' hack to do this:

<inlinegraphic fileref="source.c" format="linespecific"></inlinegraphic>

It solves both problems.

But, as a markup suggestion, you should use <programlisting> to source
files and to some other files (such as configuration files, etc.).

See you,
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.