Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Support for target=?

> From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
>
> Is anyone using frames? Occasionally someone asks about supporting
> target= on anchors created by ulink. My own experience is that I use
> ulink for 'external' links and link/olink for internal links, so I can
> get by with a single default (_top) for the target on ulink.
>
> Has anyone found it necessary to extend the DTD to get better support
> for this?

Not just frames.  In a single- or multi-frame display, the
target attribute can also be used to pop open a separate
window to show a graphic, table, or other diversion
separate from the text flow.

I'm faced with converting to Docbook some legacy material
that has markup for both frame names and popup window
names, and I currently have no where to put that information.

I took a look at XLink, and the "xlink:show=new" attribute
of a link element indicates that the link should appear in
a new display. But XLink doesn't seem to provide an
attribute to indicate the target *name*.  I presume this
would be a non-XLink attribute of the link element?

bobs
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.              fax:   (831) 429-1887
                                            email: bobs@sco.com