Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Docbook and Accessibility

/ Carlos Araya <elrond@valinor.sjsu.edu> was heard to say:
| Reading the messages relating to accesskey made me wonder how accessible a
| docbook document really is when converted to HTML.

Well, one answer to that question is that it's not a DocBook issue per
se, it's a tools issue. If your converter doesn't provide
accessibility information in the HTML, fix your converter.

On the other hand, if there is no place to put the accessibility
information into the source document, that may be a problem.

If you know of accessibility information that falls into the second
character, I'd like to hear about it.

| Most of my work is done with/for people who have to maintain a high level
| of accesibility on their sites and I'm not sure if converting SGML to HTML
| using Docbook is the right answer.
|
| Am I right in assuming this or is there something I've mised?

That's too vague a question. You need to provide more information
about what you want to put in SGML and what you want to get
out. There's no reason, in principal, that you can't convert from SGML
to HTML and maintain a high level of accessibility.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The stone fell on the pitcher? Woe
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | to the pitcher. The pitcher fell
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | on the stone? Woe to the