Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Keyboard shortcuts for links

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 08:15:27PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> was heard to say:
> | On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:35:23PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> | > / Dave Pawson <daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk> was heard to say:
> [...]
> | >
> | > I think that falls under the umbrella of attempting to legislate
> | > morality. If authors are forced to put in tags, but not motivated to
> [...]
> | Maybe.  But how about making textobject a first class child of
> | mediaobject, and giving us a textdata element, analogous to imagedata?
>
> We've been reluctant because at least two other specifications will
> provide this ability: XInclude and XLink.

OK, but what about when my <textobject> is just ASCII art?  It'd be nice
to be able to write something like

    <mediabobject>
      <!-- XXX Must remember to fire up xfig and create a graphic.  In
           the meantime, include some ASCII art as a placeholder -->

      <textobject>
        <literallayout class="monospaced">       _ _
	 |_| |_|_|_|\_\</literallayout>
      </textobject>
    </mediaobject>

[ I can't believe I just installed figlet for that ]

XInclude and XLink are also (as far as I can tell) XML, rather than
SGML.  I'm not entirely sure whether that means they'll be incompatible
with SGML, but if they are, it's not as useful as it might be.