Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Is it possible in DocBook?

[ Follow-ups to the docbook-apps list, please --moderator ]

/ Roman Suzi <rnd@onego.ru> was heard to say:
[...]
| I have installed new jadetex - now the letters are correct but
| still no "Chapter" ("Glava") in russian...

Does it work if you produce HTML? If it does, the problem is probably
TeX-related. If it doesn't, the problem is probably DSSSL-related.

| The emptiness instead of "Glava" is written into .tex file

Oh. Well, that's a problem.

[pause while norm digs around in distribution...]

Ok, it seems that jade has trouble translating the SGML SDATA entities
for Cyrillic into actual output. But it (seems to) work fine if the
entities are replaced with Unicode character references. (Why has no
one reported this before?)

I'll fix it for the next release.

| >This doesn't seem quite exactly right,
|
| It is right - I wrote "chapter" DOCTYPE...

Chapter is a perfectly reasonable place to start a DocBook document.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | He that shuns trifles must shun
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | the world.--George Chapman
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee |