Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: objection to docbook.dcl

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> As a packager, you should probably fix this for your users.

If the user knows better has allowed to change the CATALOG file; after
all it's marked as a config file.  But he should know what he's doing :)
Maybe, I'll write an SDB article on this issue.

> Norm himself said this DECL shouldn't be on by default.

I don't think OASIS members will approve this recommendation ;)  Even if
it's considered as a bug by now it has turned into a feature.

As explained the declaratation is part of the system; you've to enforce
its use. -- To make it more clear consider the following scenario:

    Application X claims to support viewing of DocBook 3 or 4 documents.
    Such a application may depend on end tags added; otherwise it might
    screw up the proper nesting of lists or the vertical white space
    between items or at the end of the list.

Yes, those applications exit and they are be no means leagacy
application (the help system for GNOME 1.4).

The next paragraphs on OpenJade don't belong to this list; I'll answer
them separately.

> > Should be done for version 5; someone will have to write an (inofficial)
> > DTD for version 5, BTW ;)
>
> I was told that OASIS isn't going to drop the SGML DTD completely for
> DocBook 5 -- was that incorrect?

Most probably my remark was to sparse; yes, there's
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/5.0alpha1/index.html (remember,
XML is SGML).

--
work : ke@suse.de                          |                   ,__o