Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: objection to docbook.dcl

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> * NAMELEN
>
> Since SUSE (and only SUSE, I think) ships this with this declaration
> on, a review of problems experience by the SUSE community is rather
> illuminating.  For instance, the phpdoc software has a configure.in
> which actually checks for NAMELEN setting of 44 and emits a warning
> stating the user must raise this to 54
> <URL:http://cvs.php.net/viewcvs.cgi/phpdoc/configure.in?rev=1.61&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup&sortby=author>

This is zombie in configure script, PHPDOC is now based on XML version
of DocBook, so it does not depend on docbook.dcl (it uses xml.dcl).

Would not be better to package XML version of DocBook to Linux
distributions as there are many new tools which are not able to process
SGML? I think that only reason to stay up with SGML for some OSS
projects are included and ignored sections. This can be easily
substituted by more flexible profilation based on attributes like os and
userlevel. (Second reason may be lack of know-how to set-up Jade and
nsgmls to process XML.)

I have one question to you, as you are preparing packages for Debian
system. Are there any common directory where are XSL DocBook stylesheets
usually placed? I would like to autodetect these for PHPDOC, but AFAIK
there exist packages only for DSSSL with some common locations. Thanks.

Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz