Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Open Source SGML vs XML.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Would not be better to package XML version of DocBook to Linux
> distributions as there are many new tools which are not able to process
> SGML? I think that only reason to stay up with SGML for some OSS
> projects are included and ignored sections.

	What about the DSSSL style-sheets that I've spent time customizing?
Do I have to start all over? Is there an Open Source XML tool-chain
that matches the speed and stability of the default Debian SGML
tool-chain? From the daily bug reports on this list, I gather that there
is not.

	What are the Open Source programs one would use to process the
XML/DocBook documents? What licenses do they use? Do they match the Debian
Free Guidelines? (Also, I'm curious which ones don't use Java.)

	Has the on-line documentation (The Definitive Guide, FAQs
at docbook.org, etc.) been updated to reflect the 4.1 DTD with an XML
tool-chain? It doesn't look like it has been.

-=- Kevin Conder, http://KevinDumpsCore.com