Subject: DOCBOOK: Samples for Usage Question

Hello again!

A week or so ago I posted the message below to this list in the
hopes of starting a discussion on possible alternative usage suggestions.

It was mentioned to me that fellow docbook users may find some sample
markup helpful in providing feedback about our proposed solution for
the Sun writers. What follows is both a sample of the current workaround
I mentioned in my original posting as well as data marked as we've proposed
in RFE#145.

Sample of how we work around it now:

<sect1>
<title>Creating Concatenations</title>
<para>Do not use this procedure on an existing file system or
data.</para>

<sect2 role="procedure">
<title>How to Create a Concatenation</title>
<procedure>
<step>
<para>Check the prerequisites (<xref linkend="addtasks-20933">)
and the preliminary information.</para>
</step>
<step>
<para>To create the concatenation from the Solaris Management
Console</para>
</step>
<step>
<para>To create the concatenation from the command line, use the
following form of the metainit command:</para>
</step>
</procedure>

<sect3>
<title>Where To Go From Here</title>
<para>Information for the IA archtecture is different.</para>
</sect3>
</sect2>
</sect1>

Sample of how we want to do it:

<sect1>
<title>Creating Concatenations</title>
<para>Do not use this procedure on an existing file system or
data.</para>

<procedure>
<title>How to Create a Concatenation</title>
<procedure>
<step>
<para>Check the prerequisites (<xref linkend="addtasks-20933">)
and the preliminary information.</para>
</step>
<step>
<para>To create the concatenation from the Solaris Management
Console</para>
</step>
<step>
<para>To create the concatenation from the command line, use the
following form of the metainit command:</para>
</step>

<simplesect>
<title>Where To Go From Here</title>
<para>Information for the IA archtecture is different.</para>
</simplesect>
</procedure>
</sect2>
</sect1>

Michael Smith, can you please elborate upon the comments you posted
earlier on why you don't think this will work?

Thanks everyone!
Sabine Ocker

Hello fellow Docbook users!

Sun Microsystems has proposed a change to the Docbook DTD which would
allow additional material after the last step in a procedure. Specifically,
the writers have a need for a Titled Section within Procedure after any
Steps--which is useful for related "Examples" as well as "Where to go
from Here" or "See Also" information.

Because this Section should have structure but an end point in the
Section heirarchy, we'd like to use SimpleSect. and extend the content
model of Procedure to include it.

We have internal requirements which don't allow us to include optional
Titles, and that's why Bridgehead doesn't quite work.

We can't use Example because authors may reference other sort of information,
as is mentioned above.

The work around previously has been to use Sect2 and mark up the "See Also"
information as a Sect3. An attribute value of "procedure" is also set for
role. This is rather inelegant and encourages authors to always use a
Sect2 element instead of Procedure.

Does anyone else in the user community have similar requirements, and
if so, what do you do? Any comments or discussion is appreciated!

thanks!
Sabine-
Sabine Ocker
Sun Microsystems, Inc.