Subject: Re: New to DocBook: XML or SGML, Clark or Open?

"Prikryl,Petr" wrote:

>  - Should I be oriented towards SGML or XML when starting
>    with DocBook as a total greenhorn?  Do I need a unicode
>    capable editor for XML?

I would recomend you XML version. You do not need unicode editor. From
your domain, I suppouse that you want write docs in Czech language. In
this case, you can start DocBook XML document with line

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1250"?>

or

and then use appropriate single-byte encoding.

>  - Should I choose Clark's SP and Jade or OpenSP
>    and OpenJade?

Jade works correctly for me.

>  - Notice: I am using Windows NT (I have no choice).

Read tutorial A brief tutorial how to set up a free SGML editing and
publishing system for Windows NT from Markus Hoenicka:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/hoenicka_markus/ntsgml.html

> Question on JadeTeX
> ================
>
> I am thinking about using (La)TeX for generating printable
> version of the documentation and also the PostScript
> and PDF versions.  Is the TeX back-end the usual way
> for doing that?

It is usual way, but not only. JadeTeX have some serious problems on
longer documents. Another way to produce printed version is to use XSL
stylesheets and some FO processor (e.g. PassiveTeX). This tool-chain is
improving very rapidly. For larger documents I personally generate RTF
file by Jade and then use Word and Distiller to get PDF.

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz